adding a module to a kernel

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, s390(x) and PowerPC)

adding a module to a kernel

Postby paul_pixel » 2006/07/09 21:36:57

Hi,

Could someone please give me some advice as to adding a module to a kernel so i can upgrade to the latest one :)

I have one of these lovely HP ML150 G2 servers that comes with a Marvell SATA Raid controller. Everything works great at the moment except I am using an old kernel.
When the new kernel tries to install, I receive the error message that 'aar81xx' module cannot be found. I take it that this means that the module is not in the default kernel.

What is the best way to upgrade to the new kernel?

Is there a simple way of installing the new kernel, such as providing a path to the aar81xx.rpm provided by HP?

If I need to create my own kernel, could someone point me in the right direction to get the source etc?

Thanks

Paul
paul_pixel

Re: adding a module to a kernel

Postby Lenard » 2006/07/10 14:18:13

paul_pixel wrote:
Hi,

Could someone please give me some advice as to adding a module to a kernel so i can upgrade to the latest one :)

I have one of these lovely HP ML150 G2 servers that comes with a Marvell SATA Raid controller. Everything works great at the moment except I am using an old kernel.

Which kernel??

When the new kernel tries to install, I receive the error message that 'aar81xx' module cannot be found. I take it that this means that the module is not in the default kernel.

Yep, to be expected...... the aar81xx modules is not part of the default kernel which is why HP supplied you with the pre-built drivers for the kernel(s) they knew about at the time they created the rpm file.

What is the best way to upgrade to the new kernel?

Normally the process is to download the newer kernel and install it by some way like; rpm -ivh

Is there a simple way of installing the new kernel, such as providing a path to the aar81xx.rpm provided by HP?

So sorry no, the aar81xx rpm package as supplied by HP are built for certain kernels only and the source code is not included to build the drivers for newer kernels.

If I need to create my own kernel, could someone point me in the right direction to get the source etc?

This is a loaded question...............

Depending on which kernel source you speaking of, the vanilla kernels from kernel.org or the kernel source as provided by CentOS???? There is a difference.

For CentOS supplied kernel sources you can find the latest one from any of the mirrors, for example;

ftp://centos.cs.ucr.edu/centos/4.3/updates/SRPMS/

The latest is; kernel-2.6.9-34.0.2.EL.src.rpm

Once download install it; rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-34.0.2.EL.src.rpm

Next prep for building;

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpmbuild -bp --target $(arch) kernel-2.6.spec

The kernel source that yoc now build will be found in the /usr/src/redhat/BUILD location.

For the vanilla kernel from kernel.org;

The latest is kernel-2.6.17.4
Download (direct link); http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 ... .4.tar.bz2

Extract the download file from where the tar file resides;

tar xfvj linux-2.6.17.4.tar.bz2

The 'textbook' location for both the tar file and the extracted kernel is /usr/src location, a lot normally copy the tar file to this location for extraction.

Now the fun begins for both (either centOS or kernel.org) the build process is the same. The steps are;

make mrproper
make menuconfig ;(see below for additional information)
make
make modules_install
make install

The 'make menuconfig' is where you adjust the configuration (the .config file), you could also use 'make xconfig' or you could use 'make gconfig' instead. For the CenOS supplied kernel source you should be able to one on the config files in the directory structure or the /boot/config- as your starting point. For the vanilla kernel your pretty much required to build your own since the config file(s) in /boot will not work with the vanilla kernel.

As a suggestion before starting this kernel building please read;

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kern ... HOWTO.html

The 'make' steps I provided above work, please use them instead of what you will find in the guide (the URL above), as proof consider(this is from my Acer Aspire 5002WLMi laptop);

[lenard@Aspire5000 ~]$ uname -a
Linux Aspire5000 2.6.17.4 #1 Sat Jul 8 21:40:04 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[lenard@Aspire5000 ~]$ cat /etc/*release
CentOS release 4.3 (Final)

Support for the Marvell chipset (the SATA interface) may be a bit 'iffy' in either case as a suggestion try contacting HP support and see if they have updated aar81xx drivers available for the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 release 3 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL kernels .

Paul[/quote]
Lenard

Postby paul_pixel » 2006/07/12 22:24:32

Hi Lenard,

Thanks for your reply in this matter.

In response to your questions:

Which Kernel?
kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.0.2.EL.x86_64

HP have provided a rpm and a tar.gz (for diskette) - I will need to contact them to determine for which kernel this has been released.

What I am a little confused about is how I installed CentOS 4.2 with the driver diskette with no problems. Is it not possible to do a similar procedure when installing a new kernel?

The source does exist for this driver, and rolling it into the kernel is possible, but I am looking for a quick and dirty method as I am time limited.

Thanks again for your help

Paul
paul_pixel

Postby Lenard » 2006/07/14 10:37:06

paul_pixel wrote:
Hi Lenard,

Thanks for your reply in this matter.

In response to your questions:

Which Kernel?
kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.0.2.EL.x86_64

HP have provided a rpm and a tar.gz (for diskette) - I will need to contact them to determine for which kernel this has been released.

Both the rpm and tar.gz have packages I have seen are for earlier kernel versions not for the latest 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL kernels. Both will not work with the latest kernel. Yes I visited HP download site and had a look at the drivers available;

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files ... _6075.html

See no downloadable drivers are available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 update 3 or better, the kernel which was released that is part of update 3 has been replaced by the current 2.6.9-34.0.2 kernels. FYI: the tar.gz files are floppy images of the pre-built driver modules and are not the driver sources.

What I am a little confused about is how I installed CentOS 4.2 with the driver diskette with no problems. Is it not possible to do a similar procedure when installing a new kernel?

The driver modules were pre-built for the 2.6.9-5 or 2.6.9-11 kernels. Yes it is possible do somethimg similar if you can get the pre-built driver modules for the new 2.6.9-34.0.2 kernels.

The source does exist for this driver, and rolling it into the kernel is possible, but I am looking for a quick and dirty method as I am time limited.

If this is the case then you could add the driver module for the new kernel. If it is a source rpm then using rpmbuild to build the installable driver would be easy. If it is not and you have the module source then you may be able to do something along the lines of;

./configure
make
make install
Lenard

Postby elsteph » 2006/08/02 14:27:05

i have exactly the same hardware and the same trouble with the RAID SATA Controler. (adaptec chipset Marvell)

question to paul_pixel:
witch kind of centos Version AND arr81xx driver to use together for a good FIRST Install ?

(i have tried some sollutions without seccess :-? )
thanks in advance
elsteph

Postby Lenard » 2006/08/05 00:12:24

Install the CentOS 4.2 x86_64 version so you can use the 2.6.9-22 kernel; http://vault.centos.org/

Reason; pulled from the aar81xx.rhel4qu2.x86_64.rpm ( the extracted and expanded aar81xx_prebuilt.tgz file);

aar81xx-2.6.9-22.ELsmp-x86_64 aar81xx-2.6.9-22.EL-x86_64

HP (and/or Adaptec maybe??) has not got around to updating the binary only aar81xx drivers for the newer kernels yet.
Lenard

Postby paul_pixel » 2006/08/08 22:59:48

Hi elsteph,
sorry about the delay in replying, i have been away.

I think that it is up to HP to provide a new sata driver module for the arr81xx. I have raised a support issue with them, but as I was away, it has been closed :@
anyway, I think that they will release a new driver to support the newer kernels. As far as I know, in the bleeding edge kernels, experimental support for this has been added, so perhaps one day we won't have to rely on HP :)
I would advise maybe raising a support call to HP and try and get them to sort it out.

I have yet to look into the methods outlined by Lenard (although I very much appreciate them!)

As a reply to your question: I am using CentOS 4.2 (updated to 4.3) and the kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.EL x86_64 kernel. However there is a problem with this kernel, associated with this Marvell controller -The server load even idle is alway 1.00 - which is why I have been crying blue murder to HP to sort this out.

Anyways, I can still carry on and do my work,its just not perfect....and you must know how annoying that can be !!

Paul
paul_pixel

Postby arrfab » 2006/08/09 07:33:36

Humh ... maybe you'll find the following url useful : http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/raid ... tar_gz.htm
arrfab
Site Admin

Postby elsteph » 2006/08/09 10:14:19

thanks a lot, gentlemen's for your help.
i have DL the 4 cd and the right driver
result=> all is nice in the world :-)

I'm going to post on otherplace now for basic module trouble (GD lib,... associate with php)

CU,
steph (from belgium)
elsteph

Return to CentOS 4 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support