[RESOLVED] GRUB Error 15: file not found - first boot on fresh install

General support questions
ClientAlive

[RESOLVED] GRUB Error 15: file not found - first boot on fre

Post by ClientAlive » 2013/06/10 04:05:21

My grub.conf can be seen here: http://ideone.com/eYxUUj
And I can give any other information that may help. Just let me know what is needed.

Some basic information that I can think of...

/dev/sda1 (/dev/sdf1 in anaconda/centos) is the efi system partition to be mounted at /boot/efi
/dev/sdb1 (/dev/sdg1 in anaconda/centos) is the boot partition to be mounted at /boot
/dev/md0 is a RAID 1 array and is encrypted. It is to be mouted to / (it is my root).
There is a /dev/md1 (RAID 5) that contains about 8 logical volumes (all encrypted).

What happens is, when the machine boots, I get

[code]
Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue...
[/code]

When I press a key I see the grub menu with one entry in it for the CentOS system I just installed
I press on the selection and it goes back to the Error 15 thing (so it goes around in a loop).

My gut feeling is that grub can't find /boot. Could there's a problem in grub.conf and grub can't find the kernel? If it could, I would see a bunch of output from dmesg as the machine continues to boot, wouldn't I? But it doesn't seem to get that far. I also noticed that in grub.conf it says no_raid no_lvm. Could that be right? I would think the latter would be true of root but not the former ("no_raid") as root is on /dev/md0 which is a RAID 1.

I'm a bit out of my depth in understanding this whole thing. Can someone please help me get this problem fixed?

Thanks in advance
Jake

ClientAlive

Re: [RESOLVED] GRUB Error 15: file not found - first boot on fresh install

Post by ClientAlive » 2013/06/14 02:52:49

Apparently the installation has trouble with /boot on one disk and /boot/efi on another disk - they have to both be on the same disk. (Or maybe it just can't be done that way). After redoing my partitions and a fresh install everything seems to work fine.

Jake