FOSS Vet, CentOS Newbie

A 5 star hangout for overworked and underpaid system admins.
dcparris

FOSS Vet, CentOS Newbie

Postby dcparris » 2011/12/23 01:08:36

Like a couple others here, I don't see an introductions thread. I've written about GNU/Linux & libre software in general since about 2004, and have been on a bit of a hiatus over the past couple years. I was affiliated with LXer.com and later launched Blue GNU. The latter is defunct, but you can probably check out some old stuff via archive.org.

I started with Red Hat Linux 5.1 back in the '90's and tinkered with Mandrake 8., SuSE 8.0, etc. I stuck with SuSE for a while before switching to Debian 5.0. I've used mostly Debian and (K)Ubuntu since about 2007. I have done lots of tinkering, successfully configuring at a basic level things like SQL servers, e-mail, NFS, Apache, VPN, even Asterisk. At any rate, I would like to shoot for certifying (Linux+/LPIC or RHCSA/RHCE) in the near future. I've done an awful lot of this stuff, but there are some things I have yet to do.

I have not done things like iptables, SELinux, virtualization, nor have I had much experience with Red Hat or it's derivatives - or even RPM-based distros - in the last several years. So I have much to tinker with yet.

Anyhow, I am sure to goof up stuff and wind up asking questions, so I thought I'd introduce myself. And yes, I'm reading the documentation - as much as can at any one time. ;-)

Regards,
Don

pschaff
Retired Moderator

FOSS Vet, CentOS Newbie

Postby pschaff » 2011/12/26 23:18:06

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Glad to hear you are doing your homework. :-) I look forward to seeing you around.

dcparris

Re: FOSS Vet, CentOS Newbie

Postby dcparris » 2011/12/27 03:58:03

Thanks Phil,

'Santa' brought me 2 of Mark Sobell's "Practical Guides" books: 'Linux Commands, Editors & Shell Programming', and also 'Fedora & RHEL' - both of which track the LPI exams - and I should think would prepare me well to pass the pretest for the RHCSA courses (which would qualify me for the 'short' version). I believe the RHEL notes will mostly apply to CentOS.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: FOSS Vet, CentOS Newbie

Postby pschaff » 2011/12/27 13:56:01

dcparris wrote:
... I believe the RHEL notes will mostly apply to CentOS.

Yes, except for non-free components and things CentOS has to change to stay legal, or to make things work when upstream procedures are undocumented or otherwise unavailable.

Return to “CentOS Social”