cinnamon on CentOS 6.2: compile error

Issues related to applications and software problems

Postby resalxh » 2012/05/31 09:59:05

Recently I have learned about cinnamon and have been using it on my Ubuntu installations much to my content.
As such I have been trying to also use it on my CentOS 6.2 installation, however I am running into an issue to which I have not found a solution (yet).

Since no package for cinnamon is available within the repositories I have been trying to build it from source.
After unpacking and running the ./configure command I run into the following error:
Code: Select all
configure: error: glib-compile-schemas not found.

With the "which glib-compile-schemas" I get the following response:
/usr/bin/which: no glib-compile-schemas in (/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/username/bin)

Also it seems that no package provides this since I get "No match found" when using the command
sudo yum provides "/glib-compile-schema"

Searching the internet I have found the error being mentioned more often but I have not been able to find a solution.

I am hoping that someone has found a way around this error or can provide me with an alternative way to install cinnamon.

TIA
resalxh

Postby pschaff » 2012/05/31 14:55:52

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Please read about Installing Software and Repositories, and pay particular attention to the evils of Source Installs.

A google on Cinnamon "src.rpm" indicates efforts to get it into Fedora, but there is no package in the repos, even for rawhide. I'd find a SRPM and try to follow How to Rebuild a Source RPM, but would give up if dependencies required replacement of core packages.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 6 - Software Support