When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Issues related to hardware problems
amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/06/04 06:03:15

Does somebody know when the CentOS 7.5 for POWER9 would be released? i only saw 1804 being released on 7th, May: http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/ppc64le/

User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2677
Joined: 2010/12/01 19:25:52
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by avij » 2018/06/04 06:07:11

Forgive me my ignorance, but aren't those .iso images exactly the ones you are looking for?

amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/06/04 06:58:21

avij wrote:Forgive me my ignorance, but aren't those .iso images exactly the ones you are looking for?
thanks for replying this, avij.
As i know, those .iso images is built for POWER8 instead of POWER9, please correct me if i'm wrong.

User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2677
Joined: 2010/12/01 19:25:52
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by avij » 2018/06/04 15:46:20

OK, after asking around a bit I'm told the POWER9 packages and images are still being worked on. Those ppc64le images will indeed only work on POWER8.

amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/06/05 06:58:46

avij wrote:
2018/06/04 15:46:20
OK, after asking around a bit I'm told the POWER9 packages and images are still being worked on. Those ppc64le images will indeed only work on POWER8.
thanks for checking, but is there any preliminary schedule for POWER9?

jpoc
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018/06/05 18:20:15

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by jpoc » 2018/06/05 18:25:19

There is no official schedule for CentOS 7.5.1804 POWER9. I'm optimistic that at the very least a technology preview will be ready before the end of June 2018. There are only a handful of rpms to build, sign and test. That said, CentOS won't receive any POWER9 hardware until later this year. That makes testing a more creative exercise ;)

amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/06/06 07:26:17

jpoc wrote:
2018/06/05 18:25:19
There is no official schedule for CentOS 7.5.1804 POWER9. I'm optimistic that at the very least a technology preview will be ready before the end of June 2018. There are only a handful of rpms to build, sign and test. That said, CentOS won't receive any POWER9 hardware until later this year. That makes testing a more creative exercise ;)
Got it, thanks jpoc :)
Will there be any announcements when the .iso image or any update being released? so that i can go and check by myself.

User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2677
Joined: 2010/12/01 19:25:52
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by avij » 2018/06/06 12:29:18

Answering on behalf of jpoc: Yes, there will be an announcement posted to the centos-announce mailing list.

amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/06/08 01:10:03

avij wrote:
2018/06/06 12:29:18
Answering on behalf of jpoc: Yes, there will be an announcement posted to the centos-announce mailing list.
Great! thanks avij, i already subscribed. 8-)

amandalin
Posts: 9
Joined: 2018/06/04 05:55:36

Re: When would CentOS 7 for POWER9 be released?

Post by amandalin » 2018/08/01 01:23:36

May i know has it been released? i asked this because i can't tell which one is the build support POWER9.

Post Reply