Add an HP OfficeJet 6970 to CentOS

Issues related to applications and software problems
warron.french

Add an HP OfficeJet 6970 to CentOS

Post by warron.french » 2018/06/13 01:24:47

Using the XSettings applet in CentOS-7 I went to Printers to Add a Printer.

I do not see my HP printer model in the list. Is there something I can do? I have never seen Linux support for any HP printers (which really sucks).

The model printer that I have is an HP OfficeJet 6970.

Thanks for any guidance.
\\War

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Add an HP OfficeJet 6970 to CentOS

Post by TrevorH » 2018/06/13 06:38:26

You'll want a ppd file from HP to make it work. No idea if there is one but I have a 6980 and that works. Get a ppd file, import it into cups as you set up the printer and that should be it.
CentOS 5 died in March 2017 - migrate NOW!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

warron.french

Post by warron.french » 2018/06/15 01:37:54

Hey TrevorH, thanks.

Is it easy to acquire a PPD file from HP for my printer? What are the steps for something like that?

When I tried this, the HP website indicated it would need me to go to another website; but it was for HPLIP. Does that sound correct?
\\War

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2018/06/15 02:57:58

warron.french wrote:
2018/06/13 01:24:47
Using the XSettings applet in CentOS-7 I went to Printers to Add a Printer.

I do not see my HP printer model in the list. Is there something I can do? I have never seen Linux support for any HP printers (which really sucks).

The model printer that I have is an HP OfficeJet 6970.

Thanks for any guidance.
Actually I would be surprised if it were NOT supported. When I was considering buying a printer I did my research first. HP printers are the most Linux friendly printers on the market.

I asked my sister to send me a HP... printer for Christmas. I *knew* it would work, what she sent me was a HP Envy 4520, which I had not researched. I need not have feared, it too was supported. As I recall most HP OfficeJet Printers are supported.

Rule of Thump: IF you plan to buy a printer and your OS of choice is a LINUX distro you start by looking at HP printers. There may be other printers on the market that are Linux friendly -- or so they claim -- the reality is that most are either Windoze and/or Apple specific printers, Linux -- IF it is supported at all -- is an after thought.

Here is some info that might help you:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=228518

"I managed to solve the problem by downloading and installing HPLIP 3.16.18. I also had to manually discover my printer's IP address by printing out the printers network information and entering into the HPLIP utility. It took a little tweaking, but it is now printing and scanning as it should."

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

http://hpdriverdownload.us/590/hp-offic ... -download/

Note: there is one here devoted to Linux and a specific download for CentOS

Hope this helps.