Thank you for your very informative reply. I read it with earnest but still am a little confused. I did by the way go & check out "monit" & "munin", a bit overwhelming at first go but i shall endeavour to read more on it.
The Dell Rep came back to me with the quote for the system i described & i nearly fell of my chair!! It appears the supposed 40% she was going to give me had already been factored & it was still way too high. So my config would most probably lose the 15K SAS drives & end up with 10K SAS drives instead(still in RAID 10 setup). Any potential problems with this change?
I was wondering if you could clarify a little on some points you mentioned,
What do you mean by:
1. web engine's those sites use?
2. how much filtering you do on the email accounts
3. What i really need to protect is the database & user emails(they use a filesystem for storing). So if a failure happenned completely to the server, then i could some way automaticcally return them to a new system or the repaired system.
4. Would doing a cloning be similar to creating a drive image? So if you made a drive image 12noon & the server packed up at 8pm, then all emails & data added after 12noon would be lost correct?
5. Would this solution be a better option, have a storage backup that has the same identical hard drive setup, even the RAID 10 & maybe have something like rsync or other program to do differencial backups every 30 mins or so to minimise loss of data, so that if the server failed because of drives, i could power down the server & replace all the drive with identical drives & power up again? So for being an idiot if i'm talking nonsense.
thank you for you suggestion, will keep that in mind.
thank you all for your time