Samba Problem

Issues related to configuring your network

Samba Problem

Postby ally_uk » 2012/06/08 15:24:28

Hi guys I am new to CentOs I am having difficulty in getting a simple Samba share working in Windows XP,

[Global]

Workgroup = Dragon
Netbios name = Izuna
security = Share

[Random Stuff]

comment = for testing only
path = /files
read only = no
available = yes
guest ok = yes
locking = no

I have opened the Samba ports in Centos and have disabled the Windows firewall, I am able to access the random stuff share from the windows box but am unable to create or access any of the folders. Go easy on me please I am a noob :)
ally_uk

Samba Problem

Postby pschaff » 2012/06/09 18:18:02

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Why did you change security from user to share (not recommended - see the comments in the original smb.conf), and remove the default "passdb backend = tdbsam" authentication? Any remaining issues may be due to file ownership and/or SELinux, but you have provided no information on those.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Samba Problem

Postby ally_uk » 2012/06/10 23:24:10

Hey thanks for the heads up, I am really new to Linux and Samba, I was reading numerous guides I don't really know much about how the configuration is laid out and what the settings do, I will read the resources in your sig and will try and locate some noob freindly Samba tutorials, I Orignally came from the Windows World but have made the change to Linux I find the whole Open Source ethos more exciting and interesting and if I am honest WIndows just bores me.

Do you have any good reccomendations for Centos / Redhat guides, I am pretty comfortable with the command line and don't mind getting my hands dirty and I am very passionate and keen to learn :-)

Many Thanks and hopefully I will be able to get a share up and running this year lol
ally_uk

Re: Samba Problem

Postby pschaff » 2012/06/11 16:57:00

I've been using Red Hat family products so long I have not personally looked at any of the guides, so no recommendations other than what you can find in the recommended reading.

For Samba - I'd fall back to the default configuration, test, then make incremental changes, followed by more tests, etc.

If more help is needed after reading up please provide more details.
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Return to CentOS 6 - Networking Support