16:00:14 <dcavalca> #startmeeting Hyperscale SIG
16:00:14 <centbot> Meeting started Wed Jun 23 16:00:14 2021 UTC.  The chair is dcavalca. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:14 <centbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:17 <anitazha> good morning
16:00:18 <dcavalca> good morning!
16:00:28 <dcavalca> #chair dcavalca jvreeland
16:00:28 <centbot> Current chairs: dcavalca jvreeland
16:00:37 <jvreeland> good morning!
16:01:06 <michel> good morning!
16:01:10 <themayor> hey everyone
16:01:33 <Eighth_Doctor> hey!
16:01:47 <dcavalca> I think we have enough folks, let's get started
16:01:51 <dcavalca> #topic Followups
16:02:17 <dcavalca> #info LISA21 video for "building community with centos stream" is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I020Bha2bNY
16:02:26 <dcavalca> jvreeland: did you send the CfP for devconf.us?
16:02:35 <jvreeland> yep
16:02:43 <dcavalca> awesome
16:02:52 <dcavalca> lemme know if you wanna do a dryrun or need help with the slides
16:02:54 <Eighth_Doctor> what are we doing for devconf.us?
16:03:52 <michel> registration's not open yet, right? just CfP?
16:03:55 <jvreeland> @dcavalca  sounds good thanks.
16:04:21 <dcavalca> michel: I don't think it's open yet
16:04:31 <dcavalca> Eighth_Doctor: the idea was to do another talk on what we're doing / etc
16:04:36 <Eighth_Doctor> CfP closes on the 28th
16:04:39 <Eighth_Doctor> cool
16:05:56 <dcavalca> I think that's it for followups
16:06:08 <dcavalca> #topic Announcements
16:06:26 <dcavalca> there's a new systemd version cooking upstream
16:06:41 <dcavalca> and the CI is already picking it up in case folks wanna play with it
16:07:35 <michel> anything significant we should try?
16:08:07 <dcavalca> I haven't followed this cycle that closely tbh
16:08:10 <dcavalca> anitazha: ^^ ?
16:09:48 <Eighth_Doctor> there's an odd notice in the release notes about btrfs
16:10:12 <dcavalca> the uid mapped mounts stuff? yeah, that's being sorted out in btrfs
16:10:12 <Eighth_Doctor> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/NEWS#L344-L347
16:10:24 <anitazha> there's some bpf stuff from FB and some more development on extension images but nothing big in this release if i recall
16:11:19 <dcavalca> the only other announcement I had is that we've started mirroring comopses.centos.org at http://mirror.facebook.net/centos-composes/8/
16:11:23 <dcavalca> in case folks are interested
16:11:44 <michel> dcavalca: should we mirror 9 too?
16:11:44 <dcavalca> though it's currently missing some files due to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1972750
16:11:51 <dcavalca> michel: eventually, yeah
16:11:57 <dcavalca> I was waiting for signed composes first
16:12:17 <dcavalca> oh, I should put something in the minutes
16:12:45 <dcavalca> #info systemd 249-rc1 builds available via the CentOS CI
16:13:03 <dcavalca> #info new mirror of composes.centos.org at http://mirror.facebook.net/centos-composes/8/
16:13:12 <dcavalca> anybody else has announcements?
16:14:04 <Eighth_Doctor> nope, haven't had a chance to do anything yet centos-side
16:15:17 <dcavalca> alright, let's move to
16:15:18 <dcavalca> #topic Tickets
16:15:38 <dcavalca> for #47 add EPEL to our build tags, I think we're still waiting on infra
16:15:50 <dcavalca> jvreeland: any update on #7 for the kernel stuff?
16:16:50 <jvreeland> tagged into experimental-testing right now. Probably tag it into experimental-release soon. working well where I've tried it.
16:17:23 <dcavalca> awesome
16:17:36 <Eighth_Doctor> so that leads to a question then
16:17:45 <Eighth_Doctor> should we have the Hyperscale spin use experimental by default?
16:18:23 <dcavalca> probably not for releases, but I don't see a problem doing that for initial testing
16:18:48 <dcavalca> or maybe we do two flavors, one with experimental and one without
16:18:50 <Eighth_Doctor> then we might want to flavors of the spin eventually
16:18:56 <Eighth_Doctor> yeah
16:18:58 <dcavalca> as I suspect not everybody will want things like CoW
16:19:46 <Eighth_Doctor> well, yeah...
16:21:23 <dcavalca> at some point we'll need to write up something about the spin and how it's put together actually
16:21:33 <michel> sounds like this can be done at two levels, right? a) have the repo definition shipped but disabled, like updates-testing / epel-testing
16:21:45 <michel> b) actually have separate images, for major changes
16:22:06 <Eighth_Doctor> yeah
16:22:13 <michel> when we start testing a separate kernel + btrfs I guess we definitely want separate images for those
16:22:20 <Eighth_Doctor> eventually we're going to have do some more serious work on Anaconda
16:22:29 <Eighth_Doctor> to enable transactional update and/or automatic snapshotting
16:23:31 * michel volunteers Facebook's desktop fleet for testing anything snapshotting related
16:24:20 <dcavalca> so, now that we have the kernel, the branding stuff and the anaconda changes Eighth_Doctor did, what else are we missing to put together a preliminary spin?
16:24:48 <Eighth_Doctor> we need somewhere to spin the ISO and we don't know how to make install ISOs
16:24:54 <dcavalca> oh right
16:25:00 <dcavalca> didn't we talk about that in the last meeting?
16:25:08 * dcavalca looks up the minutes
16:25:09 <Eighth_Doctor> maybe?
16:25:34 <dcavalca> oh yeah, Eighth_Doctor you had an action to file infra ticket for image build tasks on CBS
16:25:47 <Eighth_Doctor> I'll do it later then
16:26:00 <dcavalca> cool
16:26:12 <dcavalca> anything else tickets-wise?
16:27:17 <dcavalca> alright, let's move on
16:27:22 <dcavalca> #topic Membership
16:27:47 <dcavalca> I don't think we have anything here this week?
16:28:23 <michel> should we invite David from AWS? would he find this useful?
16:28:59 <dcavalca> we can certainly ask him
16:29:13 <dcavalca> we do still have a ticket for cloud images after all :)
16:29:44 <michel> yeah. and he was asking in centos-devel about including updated kernel modules that AWS needs. so the Hyperscale kernel might be an optoin
16:30:16 <dcavalca> depending on whether he needs this for the stock kernel or now, that might also be in scope for the kmods SIG which was recently approved
16:31:12 <dcavalca> alright, we're doing good on time today
16:31:14 <michel> yeah, I think that's where he's going right now. it's a trickier case for modules that are shipped by RHEL and just older, vs modules that are entirely disabled
16:31:28 <michel> anyway, anything else?
16:31:34 <dcavalca> #topic Misc
16:31:51 <dcavalca> I still haven't found time to rig up the CI to build our container images
16:32:10 <dcavalca> if someone's familiar with openshift and buildah and wants to take that on, let me know
16:32:17 <dcavalca> otherwise I'll probably pick it up again later next month
16:34:48 <jvreeland> I think we've done some buildah stuff, let me check if the person who did it can help out.
16:35:19 <dcavalca> thanks jvreeland
16:35:29 <dcavalca> I'll update the ticket with what I have so far so it doesn't get lost
16:35:52 <jvreeland> sounds good
16:36:30 <dcavalca> anything else?
16:37:42 <dcavalca> alright, looks like we're getting some time back
16:37:45 <dcavalca> thanks folks!
16:38:00 <dcavalca> #endmeeting