16:00:09 <dcavalca> #startmeeting Hyperscale SIG
16:00:09 <centbot> Meeting started Wed May 26 16:00:09 2021 UTC.  The chair is dcavalca. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:09 <centbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:14 <dcavalca> morning everybody
16:00:23 <dcavalca> #chair dcavalca jvreeland
16:00:23 <centbot> Current chairs: dcavalca jvreeland
16:00:33 <jvreeland> morning
16:00:35 <michel> howdy
16:02:24 <dcavalca> let's get started
16:02:33 <dcavalca> #topic Followups
16:03:11 <dcavalca> CentOS Dojo went well
16:03:32 <dcavalca> #info CentOS Dojo SIG update: https://youtu.be/Ehsvz7-lDuA
16:03:45 <michel> \o/
16:03:58 <dcavalca> we also had our first monthly VC hangout, which was fun
16:04:11 <dcavalca> as a reminder, if you'd like an invite for that lemme know
16:04:19 <dcavalca> the details are also on the centos calendar page
16:04:56 <dcavalca> the only other followup I had noted was the board ticket for hyperscale branding, which had no objection
16:05:24 <dcavalca> so we should be able to put together our own spin without issues, and King_InuYasha has already started work there
16:05:48 <dcavalca> any other followups I missed?
16:06:33 <dcavalca> alright, let's move on
16:06:36 <dcavalca> #topic Announcements
16:06:48 <dcavalca> #info LISA is next week
16:07:29 <dcavalca> FB has some extra comped tickets, ping me if you'd like to attend and need one
16:07:47 <dcavalca> there will also be a CentOS booth, and I know rbowen was looking for volunteers to help out there
16:07:58 <dcavalca> well, virtual booth obviously
16:08:45 <dcavalca> #info CentOS IRC channels moved over to Libera.Chat
16:09:03 <dcavalca> you're all here, so I don't think we need to discuss that
16:09:49 <dcavalca> just be aware that there's some pretty nasty spam making the rounds on Freenode right now, so I'd recommend limiting your presence there to trusted channels
16:10:48 <dcavalca> #info sig-hyperscale@centosproject.org alias for SIG members is now active
16:11:03 <dcavalca> I've already used this to move over a few SIG-owned accounts I'd registered
16:11:50 <michel> huh, I normally connect to Freenode via the Matrix bridge, and has not noticed any spam -- but I hear it was really bad
16:12:21 <dcavalca> michel: yeah... I'd rather not go into details here but what little I saw was very much not good
16:13:08 <dcavalca> #info new destination tags for modular hotfixes and spin-specific packages
16:13:30 <dcavalca> specifically, we're using the hotfixes one for LLVM 12 and libvirt at the moment (as we can't do modular builds in CBS)
16:13:37 <dcavalca> the release package has also been updated
16:14:05 <dcavalca> #info preliminary Hyperscale container image at https://quay.io/centoshyperscale/centos
16:14:19 <dcavalca> this is still a WIP, and I'd appreciate feedback on it
16:14:36 <dcavalca> I was planning to announce it once I get the CI rigged up to update it automatically
16:14:54 <dcavalca> right now I'm fighting with buildah, as running it under openshift turns out to be non-trivial
16:15:19 <dcavalca> that's all I had on my end
16:15:21 <malmond> I've got a modified copy of createrepo_c with PR269 - it's experimental as the PR isn't approved (and is failing tests)
16:15:48 <dcavalca> #info createrepo_c with PR269 is in experimental
16:15:51 <dcavalca> (for the minutes)
16:16:19 <dcavalca> malmond: is the plan to lifecycle this with the CoW stack or are we keeping it orthogonal?
16:17:24 <malmond> it's orthogonal
16:17:55 <dcavalca> cool
16:18:01 <dcavalca> any other announcements?
16:18:19 <rbowen> DevConf.US CFP is also open for a few more days.
16:18:26 <dcavalca> oh that's right
16:18:28 <dcavalca> thanks rbowen
16:18:31 <rbowen> Might be another place to showcase the awesome stuff y'all are doing.
16:18:48 <malmond> I had made a note to see if I had time/new content for CoW, but tbh, that'd be a stretch
16:19:15 <malmond> I'd prefer to actually finish more of it and then talk
16:19:20 <dcavalca> does anybody want to do a SIG talk there?
16:19:41 <dcavalca> I'd rather we had more than just myself talking publicly about this
16:20:37 * dcavalca volunteers jvreeland for this :)
16:20:55 <jvreeland> can do
16:21:12 <jvreeland> thankfully you've produced so much source material to borrow from : )
16:21:30 <dcavalca> yeah, feel free to crib from my previous talks at will
16:21:40 <dcavalca> jvreeland: https://cfp.devconf.info/ is the CfP submission page
16:22:04 <dcavalca> #info jvreeland will submit a SIG talk to devconf.us
16:22:35 <dcavalca> time to move on to
16:22:39 <dcavalca> #topic Tickets
16:23:03 <dcavalca> not much movement for #47 add EPEL to our build tags, I think we're still waiting on infra there
16:23:50 <dcavalca> for #7, I know jvreeland made some progress setting up the repo
16:23:53 <jvreeland> For #7 I'm building 5.12.4 as we speak and I've make a branch in the ark kernel to hold centos-sig-hyperscale configs that seems easier to work with.
16:24:04 <dcavalca> awesome
16:24:06 <dcavalca> jvreeland: did you manage to sort out your CI access
16:24:09 <jvreeland> Still need to work out what went wrong with ci
16:24:46 <jvreeland> The irc migration happened and I figured I'd let that settle before pining about it. Seems settled now so i'll try to get that done this week
16:24:55 <jvreeland> *pinging
16:25:03 <dcavalca> jvreeland: might be worth filing a new ticket on centos-infra, I don't think folks get notified for comments on closed ones
16:25:19 <jvreeland> makes sense i'll grab a new one then
16:25:50 <dcavalca> speaking of CI, I'll probably make a dedicated container for that crappy runner script I wrote, so we don't need to do as much copypasta between the different projects
16:26:49 <dcavalca> jvreeland: are you on the email thread with the RH kernel folks?
16:27:20 <dcavalca> ah yes, looks like you are, prefect
16:27:50 <jvreeland> Yeah haven't responded yet but have been reading the discussion. I'll upload what I have and respond with links. As well as our pagure ticket.
16:27:58 <dcavalca> perfect, thanks
16:28:07 <dcavalca> any other tickets I missed?
16:28:29 <dcavalca> I don't think there's been any progress on the cloud images stuff
16:28:31 <jvreeland> #25 hdparm will be tagged into main soon. It's been in testing i havne't noticed issues shouldn't be a big deal
16:28:51 <dcavalca> jvreeland: oh, speaking of that, it looks like c9s already rebased it on the latest upstream
16:28:59 <jvreeland> oh, maybe not
16:29:10 <dcavalca> so we may want to consider doing that too in the SIG if it doesn't cause any regressions
16:29:18 <jvreeland> yeah i'll take a look
16:29:44 <dcavalca> jvreeland: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1961841 was the ticket
16:30:11 <dcavalca> k, over to
16:30:15 <dcavalca> #topic Membership
16:30:25 <dcavalca> I don't think we have anything here this week
16:30:57 <dcavalca> #topic Misc
16:31:05 <dcavalca> anything else folks want to talk about?
16:31:35 <michel> I brought up this pain point that there's no way to specify dependencies between repos
16:31:40 <michel> (in centos-devel)
16:32:04 <dcavalca> ah yes, what was the conclusion there?
16:32:15 <michel> e.g. EPEL requires PowerTools, which is shipped by default but disabled. seems that quite a few respondents think this is a problem too, and they don't think PowerTools will ever be enabled by default
16:32:40 <michel> I'll bring some proposals to the DNF community meeting and see if we can implement some sort of dependency / override mechanisms
16:33:14 <dcavalca> cool, thanks michel
16:33:23 <dcavalca> yeah a first party solution here would definitely be preferred
16:33:24 <michel> either have a systemd style default vs override layers (e.g. /usr/lib/systemd and /etc/systemd), or have a way for repos to declare they need another repo enabled - the former seems cleaner
16:33:59 <michel> we might have to offer to pitch in on the implementation, but that's fine... DNF is not written in GObject right? :p
16:34:33 <dcavalca> thankfully no lol
16:36:23 <dcavalca> anything else?
16:36:59 <dcavalca> we might actually end early today
16:38:38 <dcavalca> looks like that's it, thanks everyone!
16:38:44 <michel> thanks dcavalca !
16:38:46 <dcavalca> #endmeeting