16:00:31 <davide> #startmeeting Hyperscale SIG
16:00:31 <centguard> Meeting started Wed Aug  3 16:00:31 2022 UTC.  The chair is davide. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:31 <centguard> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:31 <centguard> The meeting name has been set to 'hyperscale_sig'
16:00:48 <anitazha> Hello
16:00:59 * kcwells waves hello
16:01:20 <davide> #chair dcavalca Eighth_Doctor
16:01:20 <centguard> Current chairs: Eighth_Doctor davide dcavalca
16:01:23 <davide> morning everyone
16:01:52 <davdunc[m> o/
16:03:44 <davide> let's get started
16:03:45 <salimma> o/
16:03:54 <davide> #topic Followups
16:04:18 * davide patiently waits for the bot to catch up
16:04:28 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Woops too late hi
16:05:43 <davide> lol I give up, let's just get started
16:05:47 <davide> last week a bunch of us were at SCALE 19x, which was fun
16:06:11 <davide> I gave a talk on the evolution of CentOS at Meta, which also touched on our work in Hyperscale
16:06:30 <davide> if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHjDfjDdBs (skip over the first few minutes of setup)
16:06:45 <davide> oh lovely that video already has two spam comments
16:07:05 <anitazha> I hope they upload the split videos soon!
16:07:24 <davide> yeah they usually cut them sometime after the conference, once everyone has recovered
16:07:42 <salimma> thank you bot
16:08:13 <salimma> the bot timestamp is 11:03 so I wonder if the bridge is acting up again. I can join this from the IRC side
16:08:25 <salimma> but if everyone is on Matrix, we might as well stay here
16:08:59 <anitazha> I think we're all matrix
16:09:11 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> I thought the talk was 3h for a sec
16:09:11 <salimma> #redpill
16:09:13 <davide> yeah I don't have IRC setup properly on this box unfortunately
16:09:54 <davide> Anita Zhang (anitazha): also gave a couple of talks on systemd you might be interested in
16:11:05 <salimma> davide: I heartily recommend setting up weechat and just putting the config on Dropbox or a similar service, but... off topic :)
16:11:25 <davide> yeah I should just do that
16:11:31 <davide> anyway, moving on
16:11:51 <davide> devconf is in a couple of weeks, and we also have Dojo before that, and our Hyperscale meetup on Tue
16:12:03 <salimma> oh, I should sign up for devconf
16:12:15 <davide> if you're going to be around for that, please sign up at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/centos-hyperscale-sig-meetup-dojodevconfus-2022-tickets-384259589777 so we can feed you appropriately
16:12:36 <davide> (also please sign up if you're going to be remote, as we'll email the zoom to the attendees list, assuming we can get that setup properly)
16:14:00 <davide> I don't think the schedule for Dojo has been finalized yet, so if anyone wants to give a talk there, I'm sure Shaun won't mind more submissions
16:15:07 <davide> that's all I had, anything else for followups?
16:16:44 <davide> alright, let's move to
16:16:45 <davide> #topic Announcements
16:17:10 <davide> the only update I have here is a new ethtool 5.16 build for c9s that I just tagged yesterday
16:17:21 <davide> and I'll probably update ethtool to 5.18 for both c8s and c9s later this week
16:19:09 <davide> anybody else has announcements to share?
16:21:39 <davide> next up
16:21:41 <davide> #topic Tickets
16:21:54 <davide> I've pinged https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/840 as it hasn't had any update
16:23:15 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Not a real ticket yet I think but how do we want to fix the daily CI for systemd?
16:23:39 <davide> oh right I meant to followup on the hidepid thing and completely forgot
16:23:49 <anitazha> Build from main without cherry picks?
16:24:14 <anitazha> Patch hidepid on an as needed basis?
16:24:25 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Isn't the main point of the CI to catch when our patches don't apply to main anymore?
16:24:29 <Eighth_Doctor> Hey all
16:25:05 <davide> checking now to see if we have https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=1c6c4d112e81a919d4ea83ec6cbc2f55203217fd in the stock c8s kernel
16:25:29 <davide> I'm assuming it's there for the c9s one as it's based off 5.14 and this got in like 5.7
16:25:42 <anitazha> DaanDeMeyer[m]: Hmm that's also true. But we also strive to drop patches as soon as possible
16:26:06 <anitazha> I feel like we only need to cherry pick downstream patches. Not the ones with PRs/will be merged
16:26:18 <davide> doesn't look like we have this in https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/src/kernel/centos-stream-8 but we could probably put together an MR for it
16:26:35 <davide> so yeah, we'll still need the patch for now I think
16:26:54 <davide> but only for c8
16:26:58 <salimma> anitazha: yeah... for CI we want to be as close to upstream as possible I guess. I think for packit, Davide just drops all patches, though that doesn't always work too
16:27:30 <anitazha> I mean if we drop all patches and it still doesn't work that's especially bad 😃
16:28:45 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> That's true, but I don't see much that could fail if we drop the patches, that's almost equivalent to just a rawhide build and we do those upstream
16:29:05 <anitazha> Our specfile is ever so slightly different
16:29:15 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Then again, if the patches don't apply, there's not much point in fixing it immediately
16:29:25 <salimma> huh, is devconf.us in-person only and not hybrid?
16:29:25 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> You just notice when you do the new release and fix them
16:29:43 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Euhh if that's true I'll have trouble doing my talk
16:29:49 <anitazha> I would be more inclined to fix it if I knew it was broken
16:29:57 <anitazha> And when it broke
16:30:12 <davide> yes, devconf is in-person though I think they'll stream stuff; Dojo will have a remote component, and so will our meetup (if we can rig it accordingly)
16:30:18 <anitazha> DaanDeMeyer[m]: Was your submission for dojo or for devconf?
16:30:29 <davide> agreed, the whole point of having a CI is getting signal when stuff breaks
16:30:31 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Euh I submitted for devconf I think
16:30:33 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Oops
16:30:35 <davide> before we actually do a release
16:30:54 <davide> Daan you may wanna check with the organizers, tbh I'm not actually sure
16:31:06 <davide> if you do want to give this at Dojo, email Shaun and I'm sure he'll hook you up
16:31:18 <salimma> Dojo uses yet another registration site I've never seen before - https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/DevConfUS2022
16:31:31 <salimma> if you get into DevConf I'd say do that rather than Dojo
16:31:36 <salimma> bigger audience?
16:31:50 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> I think I did Dojo, I need to check again
16:32:15 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> So for CI, we should probably add alerts of some kind if stuff breaks
16:32:20 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Otherwise there's not much point in running it in the first palce
16:32:40 <davide> yes, that has been a long standing thing
16:32:47 <davide> I'm open to suggestions for how to do it
16:33:01 <davide> we could probably rig something up in openshift to send emails
16:33:10 <davide> or we could get a datadog or whatever account and use that
16:33:10 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Does openshift have timers or something?
16:33:18 <davide> kinda
16:33:28 <davide> you can run arbitrary containers, and you can have them sleep
16:33:34 <davide> that's what I did for the systemd-cd tasks
16:34:05 <salimma> just polling to see if it needs to send new emails? :)
16:34:09 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Yeah, but that still has a shell script with a for loop, I was thinking we could actually return a non-zero exit code and fail the entire container
16:34:19 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> And then have Openshift alert on that somehow
16:35:56 <davide> I'm sure there's a way to do that, but I don't know openshift well enough
16:36:18 <davide> maybe we can ask for advice in #centos-ci or on the list?
16:36:56 <anitazha> davide: Wait yes I want to use datadog
16:36:56 <Eighth_Doctor> OpenShift has cron
16:37:20 <Eighth_Doctor> There's a cronjob resource
16:37:39 <anitazha> I'm clearly biased since I'm a fan now
16:38:13 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> Anita has volunteered!
16:41:10 <davide> excellent
16:41:26 <davide> anything else for tickets?
16:42:29 <davide> alright, time for
16:42:36 <davide> #topic Membership
16:43:16 <davide> everyone, meet Quentin Deslandes who is joining our team at Meta and will be working on systemd, among other things
16:43:48 <naccyde> Hello everyone 👋
16:44:38 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> EU folks are slowly growing in number, soon we'll take over
16:44:41 <kcwells> Welcome!
16:44:47 <davide> any objection to Quentin joining the Hyperscale SIG ?
16:45:05 <kcwells> I already welcomed him, so apparently not
16:45:11 <kcwells> lol
16:45:16 * davide is just going through the motions :)
16:45:47 <DaanDeMeyer[m]> I'm playing Ace Attorney so I really want to shout objection now
16:46:19 <naccyde> DaanDeMeyer[m]: I'm in your team, if you object you'll have more work
16:46:33 <anitazha> Open the gates! Let him in!
16:47:09 <salimma> ++
16:47:27 <davide> #announcement welcome Quentin Deslandes to the Hyperscale SIG
16:47:35 <davide> I will do the paperwork after this meeting
16:48:03 <davide> ugh I forgot how the bot works
16:48:13 <davide> #agreed welcome Quentin Deslandes to the Hyperscale SIG
16:48:23 <davide> that should do it
16:48:52 <salimma> yeah, these are the only commands it seems. #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:49:04 <salimma> oops, hope I didn't just confuse the bot. I'm not chaired am I
16:49:17 <Eighth_Doctor> who is Quentin?
16:49:45 <davide> Quentin joined our team at Meta and will be in Boston in two weeks
16:50:24 <davide> sorry, probably should have waited a bit more for everyone to catch up with the log
16:52:08 <kcwells> Too late now. No going back.
16:53:00 <anitazha> Technically no one said no
16:54:56 <davide> alright, anything else here before we move on?
16:56:31 <davide> #topic Misc
16:56:38 <davide> anything for the last few minutes?
16:59:14 <davide> alright, going to call this done
16:59:19 <davide> thanks everyone for attending
16:59:21 <davide> #endmeeting